AUDITION NOTICE for The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe
Audition Dates & Times:
Sunday 11th November 2018 6pm.
The Playhouse Threate Somerset West.
The creative team at the Playhouse are known for their spectacular musicals and cleverly staged productions and the planned adaptation of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is going to be just that – spectacular.
This production of the beloved children’s novel by C. S. Lewis is just another reason as to why the Playhouse is arguably the finest producing community theatre in the country. This will be the first of five planned in-house productions for 2019 under the direction of theatre chairman Darryl Spijkers (The Diary of Anne Frank, Annie Get Your Gun, Calendar Girls, Shrek The Musical and more).
This dramatization of the classic, set in the land of Narnia, faithfully recreates the magic and mystery of Aslan, the great lion, his struggle with the White Witch, and the adventures of four children who inadvertently wander from an old wardrobe into the exciting, never-to-be-forgotten Narnia. The intense action features chases, duels and escapes as the witch is determined to keep Narnia in her possession and to end the reign of Aslan. All the memorable episodes from the story are represented in this exciting dramatization: the temptation of Edmund by the witch, the slaying of the evil wolf by Peter, the witnessing of Aslan’s resurrection by Susan and Lucy, the crowning of the four new rulers of Narnia, and more. The supporting characters are also here: the unicorn, the centaur and other forest animals, along with Father Christmas, Mr. and Mrs. Beaver, and Tumnus the Faun.
Smoke lingers in the air and a station clock hangs above the stage, as evacuees are whisked off to their new homes in the countryside. With a nod to historical accuracy, evacuees assemble on stage just as children were lined up in village halls or against walls during WWII. Waiting to be chosen by foster families, the immortal words “I’ll take that one” echo throughout the auditorium.
The iconic lamppost will be joined by ‘epic theatre’ styled puppets and a soundscape that will live in your memory long after the cupboard closes.
There are roles for all ages up for grabs. Prepare any suitable monologue or just arrive. There will be audition pieces available on the day. A small group of dancers is also required to help capture the required atmosphere of enchanted Narnia. A short piece will be taught at the audition.
The performances will take place in February 2019 with rehearsals from December. Holiday plans will be taken into account.
This story of love, faith, courage and giving, with its triumph of good over evil, is a true celebration of life. Auditions will be held at the Playhouse Theatre on Lourensford Road Somerset West at 18:00 on 11 November. Show up and show off.
Leads (must be able to act, sing and dance)
All roles are open to actors of any age, ethnicity, or gender.
- ASLAN/FATHER CHRISTMAS – the great lion and the rightful King of Narnia/a Santa-like character and bringer of gifts.
- THE WHITE WITCH – the wicked ruler of Narnia who usurped the throne from Aslan.
- LUCY – the youngest of the four children, she discovers Narnia through a wardrobe and leads her brothers and sister on the adventure. (playing age 9 to 12)
- SUSAN – the second oldest of the four children, she is strong and mature and acts almost as a parent to her siblings. (playing age 13 to 16)
- EDMUND – the second youngest of the four children, he is seduced by the White Witch and betrays his brother and sisters before redeeming himself in the end. (playing age 11 – 15)
- PETER – the oldest of the four children, he is protective of his siblings and is eager to fight for them. (playing age 15 to 19)
- TUMNUS – a creature of Narnia. Quirky, nervous, and good hearted, he struggles between his duty to the White Witch and his affinity for Lucy.
- BEAVER – a true patriot to Narnia and ally of Aslan.
- MRS. BEAVER – a true patriot to Narnia, she aids the children on their adventure.
- UNICORN – a creature of Narnia. Leads the quest for the White Stag and aids Mr. and Mrs. Beaver in helping the children.
- CENTAUR – a creature of Narnia. Fights alongside Aslan to defeat the White Witch.
- FENRIS ULF – A wolf and head of the Witch’s secret police.
- DWARF – a servant to the Witch.
- ELF – a helper to Father Christmas.
- WHITE STAG – a creature of Narnia and the elusive omen of good fortune.
- ENSEMBLE – Aslan’s army, the Witch’s army, townsfolk.
- DANCERS – Puppeteers, Wood Nymphs.