AUDITION NOTICE for Various Drama Productions 2020
Audition Dates & Times:
Sunday, 10th Nov 2019
Arrive @ 2pm
Direct any specific queries to Darryl at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Playhouse Threate Somerset West
Join us for auditions – many roles up for grabs for the HHDS February 2020 slot to be directed by Darryl Spijkers. Rehearsals begin in December and will be worked around cast availability.
All 3 plays will be auditioned and a decision will be made based on the interest and ability to cast.
Prepare any monologue or prose in a Johannesburg or Southern American accent. You will also be asked to read a certain part as selected by the panel, so please familiarise yourself with the plays to show an understanding of the characters.
The three main characters in this penetrating psychological study of frustration and loneliness spend an evening together in the kitchen of the cheap Johannesburg boarding house where they live. They are;
- Milly, the kind-hearted slovenly landlady;
- Don, a cynical student layabout engaged in a permanent attempt to find himself and analyze others;
- and Shorty, a dimwitted postman whose passions are boxing and silkworms.
It is Milly’s fiftieth birthday and, just jilted by the German lodger with whom she has lived for the last ten years, she asks the other two to join her in a wild birthday party a gesture of defiance to prove to herself that she too is alive and can have a good time. The others reluctantly agree. Fugard’s powerful script highlights how one is forced to cope with life’s realities in the face of decaying dreams.
- Milly – Female aged 40 to 60
- Don – Male aged 20 to 40
- Shorty – Male aged 25 to 45
- Sissy – Female aged 17 to 25
Blanche DuBois, a woman whose fortunes have changed for the worse, comes to live with her sister Stella and her brother-in-law Stanley in New Orleans.
In Blanche and Stanley, Tennessee Williams created two of the stage’s truly great characters. Blanche faces alcoholism, faded beauty, and lost status; she tries to cover up past scandals both as a teacher and in her marriage, all while desperately trying to keep up the appearance and her own delusion that she’s still attractive to men.
Stanley, meanwhile, is a primal force, all emotion, passionate, and abusive. The conflict between Stanley and Blanche is inevitable.
- Blanche Dubois – Female aged 30 to 40
- Stanley Kowalski – Male aged 25 to 35
- Stella Kowalski – Female aged 20 to 30
- Harold ‘Mitch’ Mitchell – Male aged 25 to 40
- *9 other minor roles will be called for at a later date.
Tennessee Williams’ twentieth-century masterpiece. On a steamy night in Mississippi, a Southern family gathers at their cotton plantation to celebrate Big Daddy’s birthday.
The scorching heat is almost as oppressive as the lies they tell. Brick and Maggie dance round the secrets and sexual tensions that threaten to destroy their marriage.
With the future of the family at stake, which version of the truth is real—and which will win out?
- Brick – Male aged 25 to 35
- Margaret – Female aged 25 to 35
- Big Daddy – Male aged 50 to 65
- Big Mama – Female aged 45 to 65
- Gooper – Male aged 30 to 40
- Mae – Female aged 30 to 40
- *7 other minor roles will be called for at a later date.