2020 Drama Festival - Lockdown Version
Dear Primary and High Schools:
We are extremely excited to invite you to Somerset West (virtually) as we present our lockdown festival!
1. Primary and high/secondary schools and Drama schools from anywhere in the Western Cape may participate.
2. There are TWO categories: Any scripted or original one-act play (for one person) or monologue may be entered digitally.
3. Length of DIGITAL PLAYS: minimum 10 minutes - maximum 40 minutes. DIGITAL MONOLOGUE: maximum 5 minutes.
4. Please note that entry forms must be completed in full. All actors and the characters they portray, technical staff as well as the director and dramatist must be on the entry form (where applicable).
5. Please email a copy of your script one week before your performance for the judges’ perusal.
6. Performing rights should be obtained from DALRO, P.O. Box 9292 Johannesburg 2000 - or the dramatist. Please indicate on the entry form if it is a NEW or ORIGINAL PLAY, as there is an AWARD for this.
7. The piece can be filmed in portrait or landscape, however editing it is prohibited. The filming will not be marked.
8. Entry forms and videos are to be submitted via email to or
WhatsApp 072 155 0818.
9. Trophy nominations and winners will be announced on 14 August on the Playhouse Theatre Facebook page.
10. Three adjudicators will adjudicate each play.
11. Entry is FREE.
12. For the purposes of marketing your play, we encourage you to create a separate advertising poster or photo, which should reach us in high resolution jpeg format along with your entry.
13. The content of the plays must be suitable for school audiences. If, however, the context of the play is such that it may not suit school audiences, please indicate on the form and motivate in the section that provides for ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
14. Closing date for the submission of all entries: Friday, 7 August 2020. There is a possibility of hosting a live final in line with Lockdown Level 3 regulations which would allow 50 audience members in the theatre for a live performance. This will be communicated closer to the time.
Please contact Yanou Pienaar, Festival Coordinator on with any questions.